In 2020 the Disability Royal Commission released an issues paper on Emergency Planning. The issues paper asked 11 questions about the specific difficulties people with disabilities may have experienced during the COVID-19 pandemic, the Black Summer bushfires, or any other emergencies.
You can read and download the issues paper on the Royal Commission website.
WWDA has now submitted a response to the issues paper. WWDA’s submission outlines that people with disability are disproportionately affected in disaster and emergency situations due to the lack of accessibility in evacuation, response, and recovery efforts, and exclusion of disability issues in planning and preparedness.
The recommendations are categorised into the:
- Black Summer Bushfires 2019/2020
- The COVID-19 Pandemic
- Barriers to Healthcare
- Inadequate Income Support
- Barriers to accessing supports
- Inaccessible Communications
- Social isolation and segregation
- Experiences of violence, abuse, exploitation and neglect
Download WWDA’s submission: