The Disability Royal Commission is holding a series of public hearings around the country to gather evidence about violence, neglect, abuse and exploitation of people with disability.
Public hearings are formal proceedings in which witnesses give evidence, under oath or affirmation, about events and issues that are relevant to the Disability Royal Commission’s terms of reference.
All public hearings of the Royal Commission are recorded and streamed live on the Royal Commission website. Every public hearing will have live captioning and Auslan-English interpreters.
For more information about how public hearings work. visit:
- Information brochure (also available in Easy Read, for First Nations people, and languages other than English)
- Information video
- Practice Guidelines
Upcoming Public Hearings
- 23 – 24 June: Public hearing 15, Brisbane – Satellite hearing: Criminal justice and the NDIS
- 28 July – 4 August: Public hearing 16, Melbourne – Measures taken by employers and regulators to respond to the systemic barriers to open employment for people with disability
- 20 August 2021: Public hearing 14, Sydney (virtual hearing) – Preventing and responding to violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation in disability services (South Australia) – Oral submissions
- 10 September 2021: Public hearing 13, Sydney (virtual hearing) – Preventing and responding to violence, abuse, neglect and exploitation in disability services (a Case Study) – Oral submissions
- 17 – 24 September: Public hearing 17, location TBC – First Nations children with disability in out-of-home care
- 18 – 22 October: Public hearing 18, Hobart – The health and safety of women and girls with disability
The above list may not be the most accurate list, for a more accurate list of upcoming public hearings in 2021 head to the DRC’s website – Our Schedule.
Want to learn more about the DRC?
Want help tell your story?
Find out how to tell your story and where to get support on our website.
Check WWDA’s submissions to the DRC.
You can view all of our submissions to the DRC on our website.